Welcome to Kapuskasing!
The Model Town of the North
Kapuskasing is a vibrant community that boasts all the amenities associated with an urban centre, while providing the relaxing lifestyle of a smaller community. Kapuskasing’s economic growth is reflected in the continual development and expansion of its commercial and industrial sectors. This is an excellent indicator of the town’s status and vision.
Kapuskasing is home to over 8,100 residents. The town offers an extensive selection of educational institutions, health care amenities, goods and services, as well as indoor and outdoor recreational facilities. This charming community also hosts a variety of attractions, events and activities including the Lumberjack Heritage Festival, the Ron Morel Memorial Museum, the Riverside Water Park and Festival de la St-Jean.
We hope you benefit from the information at the Welcome Centre and chat with one of our friendly travel counsellors – they will be more than happy to help you and provide you with the necessary information to make your stay in Kapuskasing a great one!
Top 25 things to do in Kapuskasing:
- Admire local art by visiting the Galerie Paquin at the Centre de Loisirs
- Attend the Kapuskasing Lumberjack Heritage Festival in July
- Catch the “big one” during the Kapuskasing River Walleye Tournament in August
- Celebrate your Francophone roots during Le Festival de la St-Jean in June
- Cool off with the kids at Riverside Waterpark
- Discover a part of Kapuskasing’s history by visiting the Prisoner of War Internment Memorial and Cemetery
- Discover Kapuskasing’s heritage by visiting the Ron Morel Memorial Museum
- Go backwoods camping in Kapuskasing’s wilderness
- Go bowling at North Side Lanes
- Go horse-back riding at Starview Stables
- Grab a souvenir at the Welcome Centre, recently renovated in its 1930s style
- Have a picnic in Riverside Park
- Hike along the Kapuskasing River by using Lovers’ Lane
- Hike or mountain bike to view the thundering Sturgeon Falls on the Kapuskasing River
- Launch your canoe or kayak on the Kapuskasing River
- Sample locally-made cheese at La Fromagerie Kapuskoise – yes they have squeaky cheese curds!
- Savour the world-famous cream puffs at “La” Boulangerie
- Shop for fresh produce and homemade crafts at the local Farmers’ Market (from August to October)
- Sit in the Circle’s cobblestone seating area, relax and enjoy an ice cream cone from Circle Confectionary
- Study two examples of neo-Tudor architecture by visiting the Civic Centre and Drury Place buildings, built in the late 1920s
- Take in a movie or matinée at Royal Theatre
- Tee off at the Kapuskasing Golf Club – one of the most challenging golf courses in Northern Ontario
- Watch the alluring Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)
In the wintertime…
- Go snowmobiling through the region’s many well-groomed trails
- Hit the Kap Nordic cross-country ski & snowshoe trails